Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Merrimack College
2012, Ph.D., Tufts University, Civil and Environmental Engineering. Concentration: Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Dissertation: Quantifying Uncertainty in Earthquake Site Response Models Using the KiK-net Database; advised by Prof. Laurie Baise.
2010, M.S., Tufts University, Civil and Environmental
Engineering. Concentration: Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental
Engineering. Master's thesis: Model Validations, Comparisons, and Issues of the Next Generation Attenuation (NGA) Relations for Predicting Earthquake Ground Motions; advised by Prof. Laurie Baise.
2008, BSCE (summa cum laude), Tufts University. Major: Civil Engineering. Minor: Economics.
2012-present: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Merrimack College.
2008-2012: Graduate Research Assistant / Graduate Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Selected as one of the Top Ten New Faces of Civil Engineering by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2017.
- Award of Excellence, Professors’ Driven Pile Institute (PDPI), Pile Driving Contractors Association (PDCA), 2015.
- Excellence in Civil Engineering Education (ExCEEd) Teaching Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2013.
- Teaching Fellow, Graduate Institute for Teaching, Tufts University, 2011-2012.
- The Award for Outstanding Graduate Contributor to Engineering Education, Tufts University, 2010.
- Leo Casagrande Memorial Scholarship, Geo-Institute of the Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section/ASCE, 2009.
- Tau Beta Pi Fellow, 2008-2009.
- Earle F. Littleton Fellow, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University, 2008.
- William P. Morse Award, Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section/ASCE, 2008.
- Tau Beta Pi Scholar, 2007–2008.
- Cataldo Fellow, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University, 2007–2008.
- Evaluation and improvement of site response models
- Ground-motion prediction equations (GMPEs)
- Characterization of shear-wave velocity of soils for assessment of natural hazards
- Geotechnical engineering education
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Earth Slopes and Retaining Structures
- Mechanics of Materials
- Earthquake Engineering
- Probability and Statistics in Engineering
Professional Memberships, Activities, and Certifications
Membership in professional and honorary societies:
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Geo-Institute/ASCE (G-I)
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers Section/ASCE (BSCES)
- Seismological Society of America (SSA)
- Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America (ES-SSA)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute - New England Chapter
- United States Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER)
- International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
- Tau Beta Pi, the Engineering Honor Society
- Order of the Engineer
Committees in professional organizations:
- ASCE G-I Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics Committee
- EERI Student Activities Committee
- SSA Membership Committee
Engineer-In-Training, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 2008
Haley & Aldrich, Inc., Manchester, N.H.
A detailed current CV is available in PDF format: James Kaklamanos - Curriculum Vitae.